Sunday, January 26, 2014

Romeo Revised & Hopeless Hamlet

In 2007 I had the pleasure of playing Mercutio at the Canyon Theatre Guild's production of "Romeo and Juliet."  As a teacher, I have often enjoyed reading the Bard's work aloud.  However, being able to actually perform it on stage was a transcendent experience. 

During the run of the show, I began to create a spoof of the play's ending.  I thought, what would happen if after Romeo drinks the poison, and Juliet supposedly kills herself, what if Romeo woke up and wasn't really dead?  From there, I concocted a ten-minute play that might be the funniest solid ten minutes I've ever written.

Heuer Publishing scooped up the script.  They have a growing library of ten-minute plays -- and so I was encouraged to create another one.  So, I came up with "Hopeless Hamlet."  The premise of this ten-minute gem is that a student production of "Hamlet" goes horribly wrong when the ghost comes down with stage fright.

Both shows have been popular at regional and state-wide drama competitions.  And I'm proud to say, "Romeo Revised" has won several awards!

Check out Romeo Revised...



and get preview of Hopeless Hamlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment