Friday, January 20, 2017

Writing Experiment #1: Write a Picture Book

All righty, we've had three creative writing classes and so far many of us have conducted Experiment #1 -- which is to try to write a picture book.

First, I walked the students through my Tips on Writing Picture Books...

Second, I suggested that they follow certain guidelines so that their story will fit into a 31-32 page book. (They don't need to do any illustrations... but they should make the text illustrator-friendly.)

Third, I mentioned that picture books are usually for children, but that there are some hilarious picture books just for grown-ups. 

And finally, I told them to have fun.

Some of the students' Writing Experiments have been posted on their blogs. Here are some of the ones that I have discovered. Check them out and leave these folks an encouraging comment!

"The Dog Who Pooped Like a Cat" -- How can you resist a title like that?

"Where Are My Toys?" offers a very imaginative explanation as to where our favorite items disappear to... (The answer might have something to do with small purple elephants.)

"Penelope Jones - On The Case" -- a lively main character who solves mysteries around the house. But my favorite part is that she has a turtle named lightning.

"Deep Within the Forest" is beautiful and hypnotic... I could see this being developed into a lovely book to read at bedtime.


If you have a blog that features a picture book text that you'd like to share, leave a link in the comments section.

* * *

What's Next???

Writing Experiment #2: Write an original song... OR.... a parody of an existing song. (Get in touch with your inner Weird Al.)

No comments:

Post a Comment