Tuesday, October 24, 2017

No Time for Art?

I teach four days a week. That means I have three day weekends. (Woo-hoo!) But because I am an English teacher, that also means that I will have lots of papers to grade. (Boo!)

In addition to my busy professional life, I have a busy family life. (Hooray!) My eldest is away at college, and we are at home cheering her on and doing our best to support her in whatever ways we can muster. My second born is taking community college courses -- and Cheri and I are her cheerleaders, up close and personal. Then we've got the usual assortments of chores, yard work, and bills to pay. All that grown-up stuff. And then there's quality time. Fortunately for us, our family life is a lot of fun and emotionally fulfilling. (Huzzah!) But it does mean that I am left with very little time to work on my creative projects. (Boo!)

Of course, there are times in which I could be working on the great American novel and instead I watch Netflix or read a book. (I'm still reading John Dies at the End -- can't wait to see what happens at the end.) And sometimes I work on projects that may or may not be creative -- such as this blog.

If I was Anthony Trollop I would wake up two hours before going to work (which would be 3am for me) and spend those minutes typing away on a big lengthy novel. I don't have the stomach for that at this point. For now, I like working on smaller things: picture books and plays. I do wish I could plug away at a novel, but I want more free time... I don't want to steal little moments away throughout the day. I want a big huge chunk of free time. The kind I get during summer vacation.

So, for now, there is very little time for art... but I'm making little stories, a little bit at a time. And that's worth a dozen woo-hoos, several hoorays, and one big huzzah.

No comments:

Post a Comment