Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Does It Get Easier?

Right ow the answer is: No. Writing does not get easier.

For me, at least, writing is like exercise. The more you do it, the stronger you become. However, if you pause from your daily exercise/writing... Then it's going to be hard to get back into the process, and the more you put off the process, the harder it becomes.

Publishing doesn't seem to get easier either. (That's not exactly true... But first let me tell you what's truthful about that statement.)

I have written over thirty plays now... But that doesn't mean that publishing companies are saying yes to everything I write for them. If they don't think one of my plays will sell, they won't offer me a contract, plain and simple. And I've noticed that if I let a long stretch of time go by between my plays, then I'm not on the forefront of the editor's mind. They might not get back to me as quickly as they did.

Writing and selling books doesn't get easier. Before I was a published author, I day dreamed that I would be visiting the offices of my editors on a weekly basis, and that we would have lunch and chat about upcoming projects. Nope. That was just a daydream. It might happen someday... But right ow I am still in the trenches. I am still only as good as my last submission. And that's actually not a bad thing. In fact, it's a very good thing. It's just not an easy thing.

but in honesty, selling my work has gotten easier over the years. I have made contacts. i have an awesomely amazing agent. I have editors who are looking forward to seeing future manuscripts. My life as a writer is far more industrious than my clueless 20s. So, I am blessed to have doors open to me (maybe not open wide, but at least I have my proverbial foot in the door.)

Which reminds me...

I am about to become a mentor. I am going to work with a fellow SCBWI member, and hopefully, I will be able to make one writer's life just a little bit easier. Cross your fingers for the both of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment