Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day #105: Outliers - The 10,000 Hour Rule

My students in my Monday / Wednesday class finished reading the second chapter of Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers. This is one of my favorite chapters because its central message is that you don't need natural talent to become highly skilled at something. You need passion, dedication, and above all, you need to put in the practice time.

Re-reading the book maybe me appreciate the fact that I've put 10,000 hours into my writing, and I believe it has paid off in a variety of ways.

It's also made me think about what other things I would like to accomplish. If I could become an expert, what subject would I choose? I thought about that for a while and I've made a decision. I want to spend 10,000 hours improving my drawing skills. I'll never be a Norman Rockwell, but maybe I could become a Charles Shultz.

No comments:

Post a Comment