Saturday, January 27, 2018

What Am I Working On?


I meant to post a new Word Count Wednesday, but as it is Saturday and Hump Day has come and gone, I'll have to try again next week.

But I did want to touch base about my creative endeavors, or lack thereof....

My big project that I am currently working on is a middle grade comedy-sci-fi novel about a time travel field trip that goes horribly wrong. Unfortunately, I haven't touched it in a week.

We are three weeks into the semester, and this means that I am hunkering down into my work, as I usually do this time of year. Eeking out a page a day shouldn't be an impossible task... but it seems that every day I come home from teaching class, my creative energies are depleted. This is all just the same old excuse, I know. Lots of ideas, not enough time/energy. It boils down to laziness. So hopefully admitting to it will make me unlazy.

I have been productive in the realm of picture book revisions. I tinkered with one of my favorites from last summer's big project. I was brave enough to send one of the manuscripts to my agent... and she LOVED IT! (*whew*)

She will be pairing my work with one of her artists and hopefully it will be sent out to editors in early spring. It's always nice to have a submission in the near future.

Speaking of submissions, we haven't heard much back from the Dragon picture book. Not sure if that's a good sign, or a bad one... Probably not great. The books of mine that have sold usually get a rather quick response (about two or three weeks). But you never know. Papa Bear's Page Fright was at Peter Pauper for almost a year before they said yes.

Keeping my fingers crossed, as always. And what about you, folks? Are you working on anything? Send me a comment -- or feel free to get in touch with me through other means of social media...

My Facebook Author Page

My Tumblr Page

and

My Twitter Count That No One Ever Visits


2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, I feel like I want to give birth to something. I mean, I feel like there are things in my head that I want to write about, but then I think I might make a full of myself if I did! Not sure if that's because of the lack of confidence or because I have a narcissistic problem in terms of not wanting to embarrass myself by bad writing? I think one helpful element in productive writing is selflessness, which I may not possess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Saeed... It's true, we can often get in our own way as writers. Sometimes we need to give ourselves permission to write, knowing we might create something of poor quality. Just know that we can always revise!

    ReplyDelete