Saturday, September 8, 2018

Space Ace -- and other Animated Video Games


I may have mentioned before how, back in the 1980s, I was one of the many children suffering from Arcade Mania. I definitely had Pac-Man Fever. And Asteroids Asthma. And Centipede Sickness. You name the game, I'll tell you about my addiction -- my desperate need to mooch quarters off of my parents just so I could take on a digital army of Space Invaders (or in my case Galaga insects).

The video games that amazed me the most were the ones that were in the style of Disney animated features. I believe Don Bluth created the two that I am thinking of... Dragon's Lair and Space Ace...

I have already blogged about Dragon's Lair... but I did want to mention that a discovered, or should I say rediscovered a game that I had completely forgotten about... Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp!!!


I totally forgot this existed... I think think I may have only watched others play, because I only recall the beginning action sequence in which Dirk the Daring runs away from his mother-in-law. Pretty funy stuff... but I noticed that halfway through, this cartoon adventure gets SO WEIRD! There's a sequence in which you are the size of a mouse running through Beethoven's music parlor. The animators were having way too much fun, I think.

But the one I've been really thinking about lately is SPACE ACE. I loved Space Ace as much as I loved the original Dragon's Lair -- but god knows I could never get very far into this game before I got zapped.

Now, thanks to YouTube, you can watch the full version and imagine successfully playing through the game without perishing once.


One thing I must say about the influence of this game -- and I don't even think at the time I knew that it was this game that had an affect one me -- several early writing projects of mine wouldn't have been the same without this Sci-Fi action cartoon. 

I used to draw a comic-book called Space Bounty Hunter from Hell... and although the art style and plat were very different, the ship of Space Ace is very similar to one of the space ships I would draw for my cartoon. (I did not recall this until last night when I watched the YouTube video.)

The other more prominent influence... the name Dexter. (That's Space Ace when he's in his pipsqueak form.) I loved that name!!! If you look at the screenplays and book I wrote in my late teens and early twenties, I always put in a Dexter character either as a main character or a supporting one. Before Space Ace, I had never even heard of that as a name. 

I stopped using Dexter, by the way... First because of this guy...


Now, I am certainly not gonna name another one of my characters Dexter, thanks to this guy...  


Back in the Arcade days, I remember another animated game from Japan... It was called Cliffhanger...


Does anyone know of other animated video games from this era and beyond? Leave a comment and let us know.


No comments:

Post a Comment