Friday, March 6, 2020

Writing Experiment #1: Make a Map of Your Story's Setting


As I have often said, it took me a long time to become an avid reader. When I was a kid, I read Peanuts comics... and that was about it. I loved illustrations.



When I got a bit older, around eight or nine, I wanted to read The Lord of the Rings books because of the incredibly cool map at the beginning of Tolkien's epic...


Eventually... thanks to teachers reading me amazing books such as A Wrinkle in Time... I finally began to read on my own... And it was mainly because of that map you see up there. I wanted to find out what adventures were awaiting within the dense prose of the trilogy. And that leads us to today's experiment. #1: Make a map of your story's setting. It could be the entire continent, country, town... or simply the neighborhood or the layout of a home. Drawing a map of your setting will help you visualize the geography of your imagination. (And it will also help you tell your story.)

 Watch the YouTube video to find out more.... (Don't forget to subscribe!)




What is a Writing Experiment?

Think of it as a potential artistic activity (or an artistic challenge for those of you who are competitive). When I teach creative writing, I offer fifteen prompts to my college students. I expect them to develop at least five responses throughout the course of the semester. Most of the students do at least ten. These prompts / experiments get the creative electricity flowing.  I hope they do the same for you and your fellow writers. Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment