Thursday, February 1, 2018

Resolution Check-In - February 2018 Edition


Welcome back, to another edition of Resolution Check-In, the game in which Wade charts all of his goals, keeping track of them as they remain entirely out of reach.

Actually, last year I had the good fortune of fulfilling all of my New Year's Resolutions during 2017. Hopefully, 2018 will be just as productive. I must be optimistic because I gave myself a much more ambitious list. The month of January has come and gone, so let's see how I've done in the first 31 Days.

1) Finish Writing a New Novel

My current work-in-progress is a middle grade time travel comedy. I was making excellent progress before spring semester began. However, during the last two or three weeks, the writing has come to a screeching halt. Still, I'm six chapters in... Not bad. Twenty four more chapters to go.

ACHIEVEMENT: 20% Complete

2) Sell a New Picture Book

My dragon-themed book is currently at a dozen publishing houses. I'm hoping the responses will be coming in soon. My agent is also prepping a new submission that will be paired with an illustrator from Red Fox Literary. (This one is a dog-themed story.)

ACHIEVEMENT: Zero Percent

3) Write / Sell a New Play

I've been co-writing the "All Inclusive" comedy with Christopher Flowers, but this particular resolution is going to be a solo project. I have no idea what it will be yet. I'm guessing this will be a summer time project.

ACHIEVEMENT: Zero Percent

4) Complete 200 Days of Writing ( 30 Minute Sessions)

I gave myself this task so that I wouldn't just write during the weekends and vacations. As I mentioned in my novel progress report, I have been procrastinating more as we get deeper into the semester. Still, I've logged in twenty days.

ACHIEVEMENT: 10% Complete

5) Participate in 10 Book Events / Signings

I attended a Friends of the Library / Local Author Celebration. Met up with some fellow Santa Clarita children's book writers. Oh, and a lot of good friends stopped by to say hello and buy my book, Around the World in a Bathtub. Nine more events to go!

ACHIEVEMENT: 10% Complete

6) Complete 100 five minute work-out sessions

My five-minute routine is a cycle of sit-ups, push-ups, mountain climbers, and some kinda lift (forgot the name, but it is supposed to help with arm and chest muscles). So far, I'm not seeing much of a physical change. But at least I'm keeping a consistent work-out.

Surprisingly, this may be my most successful category. I have worked out nearly everyday this January. Of course, lots of people exercise at the very beginning of the new year. Let's see what happens by mid-March.

ACHIEVEMENT: 27% Complete



7) Practice Drawing / Coloring for 100 hours

I haven't worked on anything terribly cohesive. In fact, one session I just sketched a whole bunch of strangely shaped lamps. I've been trying to get back into doodling the Duck Town characters. I'm very rusty, and like my writing, my drawing sessions have waned with the new semester.

ACHIEVEMENT: 16% Complete

8) Develop a Stronger Marketing Platform

I have this big long list of all the stuff I should be doing to promote myself, and I have done very, very little of it. Better get on it in February!

ACHIEVEMENT: 1% Complete

9) Create a portfolio with at least 12 awesome photos (make a calendar)
     Bonus: Organize family Videos / Scrapbooking Stuff


Hmm... I have been taking casual and crude photos, but I haven't taken a picture worthy of a Calendar.

ACHIEVEMENT: Zero Percent

10) Learn the whole melody of Ashokan Farewell on the piano.

This is the one resolution that might require more talent than I have. I've never been able to play well when using both hands is required. But I'm gonna give it an honest effort... Starting in February!

ACHIEVEMENT: Zero Percent

Well, that's my progress (or lack thereof) so far! I better get into gear or I fear this year will disappear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment