Wednesday, July 12, 2017

A Vacation Within a Vacation


Summers remind me of how lucky I am. (And perhaps how spoiled.) The fact that I have a career that let's me talk about writing all day long, and then allows me to take three months, it never stops blowing my mind. It's times like these when I cannot send enough gratitude out into the universe. But I'll try... Universe, thank you!

The 31 Stories in 31 Days is going surprisingky well. As of this morning, I am one story behind, but I am hoping to catch up on that today by completing two new rough drafts. I have the whole morning and afternoon to myself because everyone has left the house to do various activities, hiking and such. But not me. I am staying home with the dogs and my journal.

So, the "Vacation Within a Vacation" that the title refers to happened this past weekend. On Thursday, Cheri and I flew out of Seattle and landed in Los Angeles. That's right, we traveled back to our stomping grounds so that I could attend the summer conferences with the Society of Children's Book Authors and Illustrators. I believe this was my seventh time attending in the last ten years. And for the first time ever, I stayed at the hotel instead of commuting back and forth to Santa Clarita.

The whole weekend was fantastic, and it was made all the more pleasant by having Cheri with me so that we could go out to lunch or go swimming together. Fun was had by all.

I will hopefully be soending some time blogging about the cnference and the people I met, but in case I fail to do so, let me say to any blossoming writer of children's books that if you haven't become a part of SCBWI you really should. They shape writers in very good ways.

Speaking of writing, I better get back to work. Type to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment