Friday, May 26, 2023

The Power of Being a Brat

 

I've been working on a new picture book (as mentioned in a previous post). I thought the draft was good enough to send to Abi... but now I'm thinking it needs to cook some more. The Second Act needs work. 


Still... I think there's a cool turn of events in this one... I know lots of bratty characters have been in children's lit before... but this one feels new since it explores not just the disadvantages but also the advantages of being a brat.


This is, at least in part, inspired by my mom. Not that she's a brat. But she is a "Karen." 


Karens, as you may or may not know, dear reader, have become a slang term for someone who complains about things that shouldn't be complained about... My mom doesn't usually do this (thank goodness)... but she was always willing to stand up and complain about something she felt passionate about... and that's a quality I often lack and sometimes envy... So, I guess that's what my book tries to tap into... 


I'll tinker with it some more and then (hopefully) submit it to my agent on Monday. 


I've had a leisurely day this morning and afternoon. I've basically done nothing but re-read the first 100 pages of Stephen King's THE STAND. 


I'm trying to recall exactly when I first read it... Not sure if it was the late 80s or early 90s. And I can't quite remember if I read the book first or watched the mini-series first. I'm pretty sure I read it first... I think when I was in high school... 


No comments:

Post a Comment