Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A Wish for My Writer Friends



Something so wonderful and surprising happened on Friday. As you may already know, if you follow this blog and pay close attention to my neurotic behavior, I have an unhealthy greed for good news from my agent. I check my email far too often, every single days... even on weekends, despite the fact that I know full well that my agents doesn't work on weekends.


For nearly a month now, I have been waiting to hear responses from editors regarding my dragon-themed picture book. So far, I've only heard back from two editors. (Polite / encouraging rejections.) I have been interpreting the long silence as a negative... Well... on Friday my agent send me and email... And guess what?


It had nothing to do with the dragon book.


Instead, she had good news about a meta-fiction fairy tale spoof I had written about a year ago. A publishing house has made an offer! I couldn't believe it. That book had been submitted back in April 2016. It had been rejected by a dozen places... and I had assumed that any editor that never responded didn't care for the work enough to bother with a rejection letter.


It turns out I was wrong. Gloriously, ridiculously wrong.


I wish that wrongness upon all my writer friends, especially the ones currently taking my Moorpark class.


If you want to be an author, keep going down this path. It might be a long, confusing path sometimes, but the journey and the ultimate destination is worth the struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment