Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Word Count Wednesday - March 29th, 2017


Wow. I did not blog very much this week. Since my last WCW I've posted only twice. And I wish I could say that this lack of posts resulted in an enormous word count, but I don't think that's the case. Let's check the results, shall we?

What Have You Been Working On?
No work completed on the middle grade novel. I finished Chapter Two last week, and I'm not sure how to begin Chapter Three. I mainly focused on the play. I finished a second scene, but I'm not sure it's working. For this project, I am co-writing the script, so I think it's time to hand things over to my writing partner and get some feedback.

Word Count: 979 (I'll make sure to write at least 81 more words in order to reach my meager goal.)

How Do I Feel About the Process?
I have mixed feelings right now because looking back over the week, it seems I had more to time work on my writing, and I really didn't take advantage of it. Pretty soon, I'll have lots of papers to grade, and I won't have the spare time that I've had during these previous three weeks. What will happen to my word count then?

On the other hand, after listening to Ellen Hopkins speak during her Virtual Visit, she reminded me that we can always make time to write. Ellen is raising several grandchildren, an obligation she didn't expect to take on, and yet she still stays on track, meeting those deadlines and pushing herself as an artist.

I know I can do better. I just need to commit. I need to etch out time in the mornings, in the evenings, in between classes. Since I became a full-time teacher I've been saving most of my writing activities for the summer break... but I don't want to be a seasonal author.

I've got 50 days left until summer. (Yes, I am counting the days.) I want to complete fifty more pages of my novel before the break begins. That way, there's a very good chance that I can finish the first draft of my book before fall semester begins.


Update: Hey, guess what, I just spent an hour in my office fretting over Chapter Three and wrote a paltry 259 words... so that means:

New Word Count: 1238.

No comments:

Post a Comment