Monday, April 20, 2015

Day #104: A Good Day's Work


One of my big dreams is to make a living wage from my creative writing. Currently, my writing projects produce a decent amount of income, but that revenue covers about ten percent of our yearly expenses. The dream is to write something that's a big success and then bask in the glory of (a mild amount of) fame and a (Scrooge McDuck sized) fortune. When I worked in brainless jobs in which I dealt with customers all day, the only way I could survive is to hold onto that fantasy of success.

Yet today, even though that dream persists, I have a career that I love. The campus is beautiful. I believe in our college's mission. The faculty is incredibly friendly and supportive (and often hilarious). The students are the most down-to-earth and thoughtful, at least in comparison to the other places I've observed. I do wake up in the morning -- way too early for my taste -- and then first thing that crosses my mind is, "What am I talking about today?" When I finish my last class and lock up my office, I almost always think to myself, "I put in a good day's work."

It makes me wonder, if that dream ever comes true, would I leave this job? It's hard to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment