Thursday, January 26, 2017

Thankful Thursdays: Moorpark College Students


Well, I have received my first batch of essays to grade, so we'll soon see if I'll be able to balance my duties as a professor and still find time to pursue creative projects.

But I do want to express my gratitude towards my students -- all the students that have graced my classroom during my 15 years on campus (if you count my adjunct years, which I certainly do). In particular, I am grateful for the current group of students I have. Teaching Creative Writing has been an incredible experience so far, but I am also very impressed with what I've been reading from my English 1A students. I've read about ten narrative essays so far, and I'm so thankful that they are already taking risks and putting themselves into their writing.

But I'm also pleasantly surprised by my Eng 1B students. Often times, the students in this class (which analyzes literature) remain quiet and just expect me to lecture. Yet many of the students this semester seem eager to ask questions and dig into the text.

Now, I better knock on wood to make sure that I haven't jinxed the rest of my semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment