Monday, January 9, 2017

Vision Boards and Life Goals


This winter break has been very fun and productive. But now it's time to get back to work. Spring semester begins today. This means that I'll soon be grading lots of essays, which means I'll have a lot less time to work on creative projects. 

As always, I'll still do my best to keep making books (as well as marketing the latest releases). I got a little lazy during the fall. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was very busy at Moorpark College. But as far as artistic output, there just wasn't much energy. I am going to do my best to stay focused. To that end, I spent a good many hours this weekend cleaning my office,




(I should probably explain that this is my version of clean.)

I also posted vision boards on my office door. These are illustrations of my aspirations, a wide assortment of things I'd like to accomplish before I get too old (or too dead). I have already accomplished more than a few. Those completed tasks have been inked and colored. The ones that are yet to be finished are merely penciled in blue, waiting to be completed. 



On the right, you'll see an illustration of my ideal bookshelf, both of books I would like to read as well as novels, plays, and comics I hope to someday write. On the right, notice the globe, there's an assortment of travel destinations I'd love to visit. The upper right is a cartoon version of a DVD library, with movies I'm proud to own. (Spielberg and Star Wars). There are blank spaces awaiting Episode VIII and XI, not to mention Indiana Jones 5. 


In this photo, aside from my sand castle shovel (a present from my girls), and the theater photos, as well as the moon landing, you'll notice there are some pages with a long list on each one. That's a list of names... names of friends, family, and acquaintances, all of whom I care about. I've made an Appreciation List, and throughout 2017, I plan to find ways to show my gratitude and admiration for each person on that list. 

I'll probably post better (closer) images of the vision board illustrations in another blog post, and -- at least for my own sake -- write about the goals more extensively. But for now, I just wanted to provide an overview and get 2017 moving in the right direction. 

Well, wish me luck. Tomorrow I begin teaching a Creative Writing class for the first time since becoming an English professor! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment