Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Word-Count Wednesdays


Well, I gave myself a very light goal: write a mere 1000 words every week. Yesterday I thought I accomplished that task... but once I checked the word count I discovered that there's only 503 words so far!


This means I'll be writing throughout the evening to make my deadline.


What am I working on?
It's a new book about 13 year old cousins who live on a run-down golf course in Eastern Washington... a setting near and dear to my heart. It's middle grade, funny yet heart-warming... and there is a bit of fantasy mixed in. Right now, I'm calling it Juniper in July, but that might change.


Total Word Count: 503 words (ugh!)

Word Count Update: 1,054 (woo-hoo!)


How do I feel about the process?
So far, so good... just very brief. I sketched a map of the setting, and that inspired me to think of the various neighbor characters and golf course landmarks that might come into play. So far my written content is all backstory about the setting. (It may or may not make it into the final draft.)


What am I reading now?


Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens


The Breathing Method by Stephen King


and


David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell


(and lots of cool blogs by my Creative Writing students)

No comments:

Post a Comment