Sunday, February 5, 2017

Resolution Check-In: February Edition


Since I bothered posting my New Year's Resolutions, I might as well provide updates as to my progress or lack thereof... So far, I have a few good things to report. Let's see how I'm doing:


1) Take more photos (photographs at least twice a week)

I suck as a photographer, but I decided to take more pictures mainly to help keep memories alive. Of course, shortly after making this resolution I learned that photographs can impede our memory.  Thanks a lot, Psychology! I don't care, I'm taking more pictures anyway. 

I'm not exactly taking a bunch of selfies. Just once in a while I take a snapshot of family outings, and I have managed to take a few photos each week, so I am doing fine so far. 

ACHIEVEMENT: 8.33% Complete


2) Write / sell a new picture book

I'm making some progress on this too... but nothing is for certain. I did write a picture book that I am quite proud of. More importantly, my agent says she loves it -- which is usually a good sign that the book might actually make editors happy. And even better news, it has been sent out to 12 editors. Keep your fingers crossed!

ACHIEVEMENT: Pending.


3) Generate idea for next big project (finish at least 25% of it)

Not too much progress with this one. I was kicking around the idea of adapting "Tomorrow's Wish" (one of my favorite plays) into a novel. Not sure yet. Still brainstorming. I did write a thousand words -- more free writing than an actual chapter. So that's something.

ACHIEVEMENT: Pending.


4) Work on a creative project with my daughters (a YouTube channel and/or Podcast)

This one is going to be a little bit trickier to quantify... because if my daughters don't really want to collaborate... this might not happen. Or it might happen in a different way than I expect. Because the girls are going to VidCon I was thinking it would be fun to try doing something to create a YouTube channel with semi-regular content. However, I'm now wondering if that's just going to take something fun (watching their favorite YouTubers) and turn it into a chore. 

However, Mackenzie and I did make a podcast episode, reminiscing about our favorite childhood board games. 

ACHIEVEMENT: Pending. 


5) Show my appreciation more often / strengthen relationships and communication. 

In some ways, this is a resolution that simply means be a better person. Be kind to others. However, because I'm on a goal quantification kick, I want to do something a little bit special for others. I made a list of 200 people, all of whom I hope to do something special for... or at least offer support and positivity.

So far, I've checked ten people off my list, so I better get a move on!

ACHIEVEMENT: 5% Complete


6) Lose ten pounds. 

Aw yeah! I did this one in less than thirty days! I went from 173 to 160 pounds. It helps that my wife is a Health Coach! Now I just want to stay below 164 for the rest of the year -- maybe the rest of my life.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED (Time to eat some Ice Cream!)


I'll post another Resoultion update in March. (I realize no other reader probably cares about this... but believe or not, these blog posts really hold me accountable and help me stay on track!)





No comments:

Post a Comment