Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Word-Count Wednesday - Feb. 8th, 2017



What am I working on:


I've been trying to brainstorm my next BIG idea... and so far nothing much has come up. I have tinkered with the idea of having a STEM picture book about simple machines (and the silly mice who use them to steal cheese). Oh, and I also finished editing/reviewing a new one-act play.








Word Count: 115 (A week of failure) --- but I am planning to write more tonight. I'm just writing yb the seat of my pants now... seeing if something interesting happens. Here's what I have so far:




“Jess, wake up.” If it was the morning, Willa would have sung the words to her older sister while she pulled open the curtains to brightly awaken her to a new day. But this was the middle of the night, three a.m., and there wasn’t time for singing, only shaking.


“What, what, what?” Jessica grumbled, looking around the dark room of their farm house. Willa replied by pulling away her sister’s quilt and tossing her father’s jacket. It still smelled of cigarettes stayed within the denim. Their father, on the other hand, was long gone.


“There’s another one in the woods,” Willa said.


“Not a raccoon?”


“Definitely not a raccoon. Let’s go. I got flashlights.”








How Do I Feel About the Process:


I go back and forth between frustration and patience. Today I feel patient. The next story will manifest in time.






What am I Reading:


I am still listening to Charles Dickens' audio book version of Little Dorrit. It's a LONG book... and I listen to it on the commute home from work. I have a feeling I won't finish it until the end of the semester.


No comments:

Post a Comment