Friday, May 8, 2015

Day #122: I Love the Canyon Theater Guild

Today was a bittersweet evening of music, comedy, and lots of hugs. The Canyon Theatre Guild hosted their first cabaret fundraising event since 2009. It was in honor of Greg and Patti Finley; they are one of the dominant creative forces at our local playhouse. Together, they have directed and acted in countless productions. It's thanks to Patti that I got my foot in the door at the CTG. When I first met her, I had just published my fourth play, and I was hoping they would consider one of my shows. Patti graciously accepted a few sample scripts and then decided to mount one of my favorites: A Midsummer Night's Dream: The Musical.

Greg cast me in my first-ever CTG production: It's a Wonderful Life. It was a bit part, Sam Wainwright (Hee-Haw!!) but it was a lot of fun, and it helped me connect with a lot of friends (many of whom would co-star with me in Cowboys and Idiots).

Greg and Patti will be moving to Idaho this summer. I'm not sure how the theater will survive let alone thrive without them. But because we love them, we'll do our best to carry the torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment