Saturday, January 17, 2015

Day #12: It's Weird to Write About Money

I've always thought it was interesting how money-driven our society is, yet not very many people discuss their personal finances. many of us do not like to talk about money. We don't want to discuss how much we make or how much we owe. (At least that's my perspective.) My father worked the damn job for over thirty years, and he never once told me how much he made... And I asked him several times! He always said it was "none of my business," and it wasn't. But at the same time, I grew up with very little awareness of income, wages, that sort of thing.

Now that I'm a grown up, I do my best to openly discuss money matter with my kids (though I try not to bore them -- or worry them.) I have a close knit circle of friends, and I feel totally comfortable talking about how much or how little I'm making from my writing and/or teaching.

But now that I'm writing this blog about the $20,000 challenge, it has felt weird to openly discuss monetary goals. It feels strange to admit that I want to generate more income. I'm worried I'll appear greedy, or pathetic, or foolish, or all of the above.

Is this topic taboo in your circle? Why do you suppose that is? what are the reasons people aren't more open about their financial status and their economic goals?


(You know who never had a problem being open about wealth? Richie Rich!)

Challenge Total: $118.62

No comments:

Post a Comment