Thursday, January 29, 2015

Day #24: The Importance of Double Checking


Once I check something off my to-do list, I often remove the task from my mind and move onto other errands. However, in this age of emails and ADHD, we must remember that just because we send a message does not mean that someone received the message. Maybe they didn't get it. Or maybe they looked at it, didn't absorb it and forgot about it.

When I send things off to publishers, editors, agents, and colleagues, I don't want to badger them with an echo of "did you get it? Did you get it? Did you get it????" So, I send the email (and sometimes the manuscript) and do my best to remain patient. (Patience might be a virtue for everyone but it's definitely a necessity for writers.)

I had been waiting for a response from one of my favorite play publishers, assuming they just weren't that thrilled with the manuscript. Then, going through my project list, I finally decided it might be good to double-check just to make sure that they received the play.

I'm glad I did! Apparently, they never got the play...so I've been waiting for two months for nothing! Time to resend it and hopefully there will be another one-act play available soon. Wish I had double checked a lot sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment